This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
English
Deutsch
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Title: Raspberry Pi for computer

I am launching into this myself, but was going to see if anyone else has already attempted this. 
Thought having a $35 computer and small 9 inch screen for my caliper2pc might be a fun method to attach everything to my mill without needing a desk around. 

My build idea:
X, Y, and Z all with iGaging linear scales
Tachometer optics from Eagle Tree
Accelerometer for vibration 
Current transformer to monitor current draw

Plug up the caliper2pc to my raspberry pi and screen and start watching the data as I work. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

I’ll share code and build if I get it to work. 

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Although a non expensive second hand laptop can be used as a host, using a Raspberry Pi might be an interesting approach. Does it have enough resources to run the Caliper2PC software? Monitoring the current draw while working on parts will provide important data together with the axes positions and speeds. The data can be analyzed so that parameters can be optimized to perform best results concerning vibrations, working performance etc.   

I am looking forward to hearing about your project, please keep us informed.

(06-27-2019, 02:29 PM)daniel.abernathy Wrote: I am launching into this myself, but was going to see if anyone else has already attempted this. 
Thought having a $35 computer and small 9 inch screen for my caliper2pc might be a fun method to attach everything to my mill without needing a desk around. 

My build idea:
X, Y, and Z all with iGaging linear scales
Tachometer optics from Eagle Tree
Accelerometer for vibration 
Current transformer to monitor current draw

Plug up the caliper2pc to my raspberry pi and screen and start watching the data as I work. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

I’ll share code and build if I get it to work. 

Daniel
Hi Daniel
Just wondering if you had any progress on the Raspberry Pi conversion as it sounds just about what I want.