This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
English
Deutsch
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Title: Using Caliper2PC DRO to turn on my lathe's engine

I realized the Caliper2PC interface has output ports and would like to use some of them to turn my machines' engines on and off. I though about using relais for the power side.

Any advice?

The output ports of the Caliper2PC interface have 5V levels (0V = low, 5V = high). A relais with optocoupler that works on 5V can be used to switch your motors.

These relais cards can be found on eBay or on Aliexpress see attachment.

Attached Files Image(s)

The Caliper2PC's output ports can drive a current of 25 mA. This is more than enough to drive optocouplers that switch powerful relais.

Please note that connecting devices to the grid with high voltage is a dangerous task and should be performed by certified electricians only  Exclamation

Why are there 3 connectors GND, IN and Vcc on the relais card? Huh

(03-20-2019, 10:36 AM)Lorenzo Wrote: Why are there 3 connectors GND, IN and Vcc on the relais card? Huh

The relais PCBs with optocoupler use the optocoupler as a switch. The Caliper2PC I/O output port handles a maximum of 25 mA. That is enough to drive the optocoupler's LED but it is not enough current for the relais' coil. Therefore the Vcc is needed. It can provide the current needed by the relais' coil. With most relais PCBs an external power supply can be used to drive the coil. Connecting the relais card to the Caliper2PC interface just use this pin assignment:

Relais Card    -     Caliper2PC interface (RJ45 Patch cable)

GND   =    GND            (orange / white)
IN       =    IO - Output (green / white)
Vcc     =   5V                (brown)