This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
English
Deutsch
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Title: Interfacing with another MCU

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a possibility to share the position information with another MCU (e.g. an Arduino). I guess it would be possible to do via the computer (to which both devices would be connected) and the API you provide, but is it possible to do it somehow directly? Is there any interface (SPI, I2C) on the PCB which I could hook into, using one of the existing 8P8C connectors, some internal connectors or pin headers on the PCB (I've got the unit open when I receied it, but didn't pay enough attention to what was on the PCB).

I'm planning an electronic leadscrew (ELS) controller for my Hobbymat MD65 lath, to replace the original change gear mechanism.
Here's an overview of the project (for a different lathe) that I plan to base my efforts on.

An idea came to my head, that if the ELS controller could get the coordinates from Caliper2PC, a couple of neat features would be possible to implement. By knowing the X axis position, the controller could suggest optimum spindle speed and feed rate (depending on material type and turning operation to be performed, to be selected by user on the screen). The controller could even set the spindle speed automatically, if the lathe's spindle motor is a 3-phase unit powered by a VFD, and the controller is hooked up to the VFD. In this case it would be also possible to implement constant surface speed, e.g. when taking a facing cut, the spindle speed can be automatically increased as the X axis reading changes.

The ELS controller can also monitor the Z axis coordinate from DRO and check that they agree with the coordinate that is calculated based on how many steps were sent to the leadscrew stepper motor driver. This way the controller can detect if the stepper motor loses synchronization (e.g. lack of torque, overspeeding, power feed clutch and/or half nuts - if present - disengaged by user), and take appropriate action (e.g. stop the feed and/or spindle, display an error message).

Best regards,
--Gene

Messages In This Thread
Interfacing with another MCU - by gene-pavlovsky - 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: Interfacing with another MCU - by Tomer - 11-08-2020, 07:34 AM