This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
English
Deutsch
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Title: Interfacing with another MCU

Hi Tomer,

Thanks for such a thoughtful and detailed reply.

It's also very interesting to learn about the Modbus interface for Mach3.
There is at least one ELS implementation (e.g. John Dammeyer's ELS) that allows to switch between manual ELS mode and Mach3 CNC. The feature you mentioned could be applied in that case. I haven't decided yet if I want to plan for a possibility of using Mach3 in the future. It sure seems logical to do so, considering that the lathe will already be equipped with all the necessary hardware (a spindle encoder and stepper motors for Z and X).

A COM port and a USB-to-TTL adapter such as the FTDI-based one you've shown would be the way to go. Such support can either be added directly to Caliper2PC software, or implemented as a separate piece of software using the .NET API you already have. I don't have much experience in designing protocols for such communications. I'm more of a user than a designer when it comes to things like this. I can do some research, think about it / make some experiments with .NET once my project is somewhat realized. And if by that time you will have already implemented this feature, even better!

P.S. For some reason, every time I get a new message notification e-mail from your forum, Gmail thinks it's spam/phishing attempt, showing a message like this "Gmail could not verify that it actually came from caliper2pc@gmail.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments or replying with personal information."
I wonder if you could do something to prevent this from happening.

Thanks
Best regards
Gene

Messages In This Thread
Interfacing with another MCU - by gene-pavlovsky - 10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: Interfacing with another MCU - by Tomer - 11-08-2020, 07:34 AM
RE: Interfacing with another MCU - by gene-pavlovsky - 11-11-2020, 01:38 PM